Comrade Truong Thi Mai, member of the Politburo and Secretary of the Party Central Committee, Head of the Central Commission on Mass Mobilization. Photo: VNA
The success of the 12th National Party Congress is an important basis for the Communist Party of Viet Nam to continue synchronous and comprehensive renovation, striving to turn Viet Nam into a modern and industrialized country. One of the very important tasks of the entire political system and the work of mass mobilization is to put the Resolution of the 12th Party Congress into life.
1. In recent years, under the leadership of the Party, given efforts of the political system, people, and army, Viet Nam has made many important achievements. Viet Nam has faced with opportunities as well as difficulties and challenges. Profound, quick, complicated and unpredictable development have occurred in the region and the world; ethnic and religious conflicts, terrorism, territorial and natural resource disputes, especially increasing sea and island sovereignty disputes in the East Sea and hostile forces’ schemes against the Party, State and regime have directly threatened peace, stability and territorial integrity of Viet Nam.
Many important events of the country happen in 2016. It is the first year of implementation of the Resolution of the 12th National Party Congress with important decisions, marking the development in theory and continue to confirm the Party’s leading and ruling capacity. The historically significant achievements of the past 30 years of renovation have created a premise, an important foundation, generating new momentum and strength for the country’s renovation and growth.
To successfully implement the goals and tasks set out in the Resolution of the 12th Party Congress, mass mobilization is the responsibility of the political system, in which the Party has to directly involve and lead the Government, the Fatherland Front and mass organizations. It is growingly important and essential to consolidate the tight relations between the Party and people as well as the mass mobilization work of the Party, State and political system. President Ho Chi Minh pointed out: “Consider the people as the roots. During the resistance war for national construction, the main force came from the people,”(1) “the victory of the revolution is attributable to sacrifice, creativity and intelligence of millions of people,”(2) “We need the mass in whatever we do, it is impossible to do things without them,”(3) “power and force rest with the people,”(4) “Mass mobilization is extremely important. If it is poorly done, everything is bad. With good mass mobilization, everything will be successful.”(5) The teachings of President Ho Chi Minh City more than half a century ago remain valid.
In each historical period of the revolution, the Party's mass mobilization work has had different content and methods. However, all are aimed at the ultimate goal for the happiness of the people, mobilizing people of all social strata to actively take part in the revolutionary movement, the patriotic emulation, strengthening the national unity bloc, and consolidating the relationship between the Party and people.
Clearly defining the role and importance of the work of mass mobilization in the new situation, the Party Central Committee, the Politburo, and the Secretariat have issued many resolutions, regulations and directives on mass mobilization. The Politburo of the 10th Tenure issued “Regulations on mass mobilization of the political system”; the Party Central Committee, 11th Tenure, issued Resolution No. 25-NQ/TW dated 3 June, 2013 on “Strengthening and renewing the leadership of the Party toward mass mobilization in the new situation”; the Politburo issued Decision No. 217-QD/TW, dated 12 December, 2013 on “Regulation on supervision and social criticism of the Vietnam Fatherland Front and socio-politics organizations” and Decision No. 218-QD/TW, dated 12 December, 2013 on “Regulations on the Vietnam Fatherland Front, socio-political organizations and citizen’s making opinions comments on Party and administration building” show the Party’s renewed determination on mass mobilization, constant improvement of Party’s leadership, fighting capacity and the State management efficiency, contributing to building the clean and strong Party and administration.
Creatively applying Ho Chi Minh Thought and the Party’s viewpoint on mass organization, in recent years, especially in the period of 2010-2015, the “Effective Mass Mobilization” movement has been launched by party committees, administrations, and organizations with successes. Many models and good and creative practices have been established. 200,000 models in 2010 were replicated to 400,000 models of “Effective Mass Mobilization” throughout the country, exerting influence in all aspects of social life. The work of mass mobilization has motivated people of all strata to be united and successfully implement objectives and strategies on socio-economic development of the country.
2. The year 2016 is a very important, as it is the first year when the entire Party and people implement the Resolution of the 12th Party Congress with six key tasks, the Resolution of the 4th Plenum of the Party Central Committee, 11 Tenure on “Some current urgent issues on Party building” in association with the implementation of the political tasks of the Party's mass mobilization in the new situation. Speaking at the closing session of the 12th Party Congress, General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong stressed: “It is necessary to be close to the people, respect the people, for the people, closely follow reality, deeds match words, fulfill the assigned tasks, contributing to successfully implement the Resolution of the 12th Party Congress.” It is necessary to consider mass mobilization as “vital” for the Party, because this is an important factor contributing to strengthening ties between the Party and people, regularly cultivate a strong bond between the Party and people-the noble, good, core virtues reflecting the nature and vitality of the Party.
New demands for mass mobilization pose heavy tasks, requiring the work of mass mobilization and staff working in mass mobilization to focus on implementing key tasks in 2016 and the period of 2016-2020 as follows:
First, together with competent agencies advise the study of the Resolution of the 12th Party Congress, including mass mobilization, develop and launch the Program of Action on implementation of the construction and issuance program of action to implement the Resolution of the 12th Party Congress on mass mobilization.
Second, provide advice to the Party on leading the political system and people of all strata to implement the three important objectives and tasks of mass mobilization in the new situation, namely: firmly consolidate people's confidence in the Party, strengthen the national unity bloc and close relationship between the Party and people, rally and mobilize people to realize lines of the Party and policies and laws of the State, promote the immense power of the people and the revolutionary movement for national construction and defense.
Third, contributes advice to the Party's leadership methods in mass mobilization amid strong development of socialist-oriented market economy and international integration. The contingent of cadres, and Party members must truly believe in, respect, associate with, understand, learn from, rely on and be responsible to the people. At the same time, contribute to addressing timely and effectively urgent, and legitimate petitions of the people.
Fourth, contribute advice in directing institutionalization of Party’s lines into policies and laws in line with reality and meet the legitimate interests and aspirations of the people. Continue to institutionalize the relationship “Party leadership, State management, people mastery” and the motto “people know, people discuss, people do and people control.”
Fifth, contribute advice in directing, strengthening, renovating, improving quality and efficiency of mass mobilization of state agencies, well realizing the Regulation on mass mobilization of the political system, paying attention to training and retraining of staff in charge of mass mobilization work.
Sixth, contribute advice in reviewing and summing up resolutions of the Party Central Committee, conclusions and decisions of the Politburo, and the Secretariat and initial reviewing of thematic resolutions on mass mobilization.
Seven, closely follow grassroots level, firm grasp of the people’s situation, especially their thoughts, aspirations and legitimate petitions to reflect and advise promptly the Party Central Committee for leadership and settlement, including the work on farmers, women, ethnic minority, religion, workers, students, youth, intellectuals, businessmen, among others.
In the course of implementing the above-mentioned key tasks, it is important to thoroughly grasp the Party's viewpoints on the work of mass mobilization in the new situation as set out by Resolution No. 25-NQ/TW as follows:
- Revolution is the cause of the people, by the people and for the people; the people are masters, exercising their mastery. Promoting people’s mastery and meeting their interests are the driving force of people’s movement; rights must go hand in hand with citizen’s obligations; attention must be given to people’s direct interests; mobilization of people must go hand in hand with nurturing people’s force; what is beneficial to the people, we do. What is harmful to people, we avoid.
- The Party’s methodology of leading mass mobilization must be closely associated with building clean and strong Party and State. All viewpoints and lines of the Party and laws of the State must be consistent with the interests of the people, by the people and for the people. Each cadre and Party member, public employee and civil servant must set example for people to follow.
- Mass mobilization is the responsibility of the whole political system, cadres and Party members, public employees, civil servants, members of the youth union, and mass organizations, and officers and soldiers of the armed forces. In which, the Party exercises leadership, Government executes, the Fatherland Front and mass organizations provide advice and play the core role.
- The State continues to institutionalize the relationship “Party leadership, State management, people mastery” into
regulations for organizations in the political system, cadres and Party members, civil servants, public employees and officers and soldiers of the armed forces to carry out mass mobilization; forms to rally the people must be diverse, scientific and effective.
Mass mobilization is an important content, contributing to building the pure and strong Party, heightening the Party leading capacity and combativeness. Mass mobilization must continue renovation in the context of the socialist-oriented market economy and international integration. More than ever, the contingent of cadres working in mass mobilization must be fully aware of their responsibility, uphold their sense of responsibility, spirit and consciousness, strive to fulfil key mass mobilization tasks in 2016 and the period of 2016-2020 in line with the 12th Party Congress. Actively advise party committees and administrations at all levels to lead and effectively carry out the Resolution of the 12th Party Congress on mass mobilization, contributing to successfully implementing the objectives that the Congress set out.
(1) Ho Chi Minh: Complete Works, National Political Publishing House, Ha Noi, 1996, Vol. 5, p. 409
(2) Ho Chi Minh: Ibid, Vol. 11, p. 372
(3) Ho Chi Minh: Ibid, Vol. 12, p. 212
(4), (5) Ho Chi Minh: Ibid, Vol. 5, pp. 698, 700
This article was published in Communist Review No. 882 (April 2016)